Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December 7th...70 Years Ago


...the Imperial Japanese Navy launched a surprise attack against the United States naval base on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed, 2,402 Americans were killed and 1,282 wounded.
Every year, a tradition started years ago by the four oldest in our family, we older ones have seen "Tora! Tora! Tora!" in memory of this historic attack. This year will be my second time seeing this movie.
"Tora! Tora! Tora!" (the Japanese code for "the attack is on" [or something to that affect. ;-P]) is a thoroughly dramatic account of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Unlike a lot of '40s war movies, the Japanese are portrayed as smart, good-looking, and civilized. I love how they actually speak Japanese, making it more historical. I can't remember it too well since it's been a year since I've last seen it. =) (fyi, there is a scene where the Japanese are worshiping their gods which we fast forward.)

2 comments:

Krissy said...

I still haven't seen that movie. I think they might have it on Netflix, but I'm not certain.

Have fun watching it!

Hannah Criss said...

I think you'd like it, Kris. Lots of Japanese. ;-)