Saturday, October 10, 2009

Turkey Processing

This is a narrative paragraph that I had to write for the English class, and Hansie told me I had to post it on our blog.=) (Hansie and I both wrote about the same thing; turkey processing, and we didn't tell the other until they were written.=) What's your paragraph about, Em?

Some close friends of ours raise turkey's, and last Saturday, it was time to process them! Most of our family went over to help; some on the butchering line and others, like myself, to help with the children and lunch. When we first got there, the guys went to catch the turkeys. All the girls watched from a ways off, laughing; It was so funny! Once all the turkey's were caught, they put them in the back of a truck covered with a tarp, and drove them over to the processing line. My brother Jon and a friend were in charge of killing the turkeys. They picked them up, turned them upside down into a cone and slit their throats. The turkeys stayed alive for a few minutes, fighting for their lives. But once they had bled to death, another friend would put the turkeys in what's called a scalder, a tub-like thing filled withboiling hot water. The Machine would turn the turkey around in the hot water for a few minutes and then he took them out and put them in a machine that spins it around really fast to get all the feathers off. Next the turkeys were gutted and then they were looked over carefully to make sure there were no more feathers stuck in them. Then they were put in ice cold water, waiting to be sold. It was a very interesting and educational experience that I enjoyed immensely.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Sounds great Susanna! Mine is about an afternoon I got to spend with my dad the other day. See you on Tuesday!

Love,
Emily